Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wes Anderson

For a person who get tired of things quickly, being a fan of anything or anyone for 13 years is pretty insane. It all started when I saw Royal Tenenbaums in 2001. 13 years, eight full-lengh movies (including two films prior to 2001), and several short films later, I am addicted to Wes Anderson's films more than ever. He is the only director in the US who has established his own style and reflects it in every movie. If I could, I want to merge into his movie, like walking through a magical mirror, and be a dysfunctional character (that should not be difficult for me). I'll be a crazy bunny or a grumpy sloth in Fantastic Mr. Fox or an unpaid intern in Life Aquatic.

Living in Southwest has some fun factors, but it is unbearable when a movie I want to see first hits the theaters. On average, I have to wait three weeks before the movie gets here after people in LA and NYC have seen and bragged about it all over the internet. Spoilers.

The same thing happened again. I finally saw The Grand Budapest Hotel last weekend. One thing I started doing when I go see a movie is to keep my expectations low except when the movie is created by Wes Anderson. No matter how enormous my expectations are, Wes Anderson always go far beyond it. Out of hatred I have toward anyone who spoil movies by giving away too many details, I will not talk about the movie. Besides, it doesn't matter what I, critics, or any other people think of a movie; all it matters is if each person like the movie or not. I don't care what people say, I was not fond of Titanic and English Patient. And I have been a Juliette Binoche fan since the late 1980s. I will just say one thing, it was delightful to see Ralph Fiennes in a comedy. Here is a trailer of The Grand Budapest Hotel. You can decide if this is your cup of tea:



Now I need to see this movie ten more times when it's available on Amazon.

Watch a short film by Wes Anderson: Castello Cavalcanti

No comments:

Post a Comment