Friday, March 14, 2014

Made in the USA: Nordic Ware

Nordic Ware was founded in 1946 as a small family business in the basement of Dave and Dorothy Dalquist's home in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1950, the company introduced a bundt pan which is still their best seller item.

I purchased my first Nordic Ware product seven or eight years ago. It was a tartlette pan sold at a Williams-Sonoma store. Now I also own a bundtlette pan, four bundt brownie pans, and two bundt mini bites pans.

Two of my bundt brownie pans and a bundlette pan are cast aluminum construction while other two bundt brownie pans and bundt mini bites pans are coated aluminum.




















Cast aluminum bundt brownie pan


Coated aluminum bundt brownie pan

The cast aluminum version (top) is easier to work with, but these pans are a little more expensive. It tends to result in more moist bundt cakes and cakes don't stick as easily. Coated aluminum version (bottom) requires more greasing and flouring.

One little warning: I have seen Nordic Ware kitchen products made outside the United States. On their website, they seem to distinguish the product origin by showing "Made in the USA" icon if it is made in USA. All bundt pans I have seen have been exclusively made in the USA.

There is a reason the company has been in business for over 50 years: their products work. I know I will add more pans to my collection.

Nordic Ware Website

Other places to shop for Nordic Ware:
Amazon.com
Crate & Barrel
Williams-Sonoma
Cost Plus World Market
Discount shops (if you are lucky) such as Home Goods, TJMaxx, Marshals, Tuesday Morning
...and many other stores including department stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment